Common Children’s Dentistry Procedures, Checkups, Cleanings
Some common procedures we see often in the office for children:
- Cleaning- The American Dental Association strongly recommends that we brush our teeth twice a day for two minutes each time and to compliment that with some sort of flossing effort. Two minutes is an eternity for a child. It is also suggested that we all visit our dentist for an evaluation every six months. This is very important for children. It gives us a chance to clean their teeth properly to fend off the damaging plaque.
- X-rays- An important component of documenting the child’s growth are x-rays to capture what is going on below the gum line. Regular x-rays can capture the development of both upper and lower arches and monitor the available space for any shifting of the teeth.
- Dental Sealants- we often recommend we add this thin, plastic coating over the chewing surfaces of the molars to avoid the potential of cavities in those hard to reach areas for children.
- Fillings-Research has proven that 42% of children between the ages of 2 and 11 have had a cavity in their primary, or baby teeth and half of that number never get the cavity addressed which only worsens the decay leading to cracked, broken and worn teeth. A child’s tooth is not a strong as an adult’s, so this also increases the possibilities. Going through a dental filling can a bit traumatic for a child although when the procedure is completed it is an opportunity to address dental anxiety and learn from the experience.
- Braces or orthodontic treatment- Biting patterns are evident as early as the age of 6 with orthodontic treatment available as early as the age of 8. We keep an eye on your child’s development to always remain proactive.
- Cosmetic Dentistry-in the event of an accident and we need to address a broken, chipped or cracked tooth we can walk through the options together and make a decision that is in the best interests of your child. Is it best to go with a temporary bridge or a permanent crown? Let’s not forget about the importance of the child’s smile through the growing years as well.
Scheduling an Evaluation for your Child Today
Making that phone call today to schedule your evaluation and consultation for your child is the next step. Call 815- 939-2520 now or visit our office at 498 Brown Blvd., Bourbonnias, IL 60914. The staff at Bourbonnias Family Dental all very patient, are terrific listeners and love to please all ages. You’ll be comfortable in our engaging environment. We are all dedicated to ensuring that your child will totally understand our plan that we have formulated together and that you will be confident that you will be receiving the highest quality specialized dental care to meet you and your child’s needs. Our gratification is seeing a smile transform and the development of good habits when it comes to children!