The Variety of Options available for a Night Guard
There are a number of different options when it comes to buying and fitting a night guard. Here are some pros and cons to review in helping us to make a decision together.
- Soft Night Guard- This is the most common type used today for mouth guards if the bruxism seems to be mild to moderate. They are comfortable, affordable and easy to get use to wearing. The negatives are they are not very durable, they only last about six months and are not a long-term solution.
- Dual Laminate Night Guard-Used more often when the bruxism seems more severe. These appliances have a soft inside and a rigid outside. The advantages are they do last longer, and they are effective for heavy grinding or clenching. The disadvantages are they take longer to get accustomed to and they are thicker than the soft guard.
Hard Night Guards- These appliances are used when the bruxism or TMJ is really severe. They are the most rigid mouth guard available. They will prevent your teeth from shifting and are extremely durable. The cons are they are more expensive, are thicker again, are not as comfortable and can even be difficult to sleep with.
The Options Available for a Mouth Guard
- A Stock Mouth Guard- Right off the shelf at your sporting goods store these are generally made of rubber, are inexpensive and can be worn immediately. They are bulky and can restrict talking and breathing and it can be argued that they really don’t provide adequate protection for your teeth.
- Boil and Bite Mouth Guards-Still a retail product you can make these in your kitchen. They also are inexpensive and provide reasonable support. The can also be difficult to speak with, cannot be adjusted and are not as effective as a custom guard.
- Custom-Fitted Mouth Guards-This would be allowing us to make your mouth guard at our clinic. It will provide optimal protection and is the most comfortable. It will cost more, and we will need to schedule an appointment.
Scheduling an Evaluation today
Making that phone call today to schedule your evaluation and consultation is the next step. We can determine if you can benefit from sleeping with a night guard or if you participate in sports the advantage of a mouth guard. Call 815-939-2520 now or visit our office at 498 Brown Blvd., Bourbonnias, IL 60914. The staff at Bourbonnias Family Dental all are terrific listeners and love to please our patients. You’ll be comfortable in our engaging environment. We are all dedicated to ensuring that you totally understand our plan that we have formulated together and that you will be confident that you will be receiving the highest quality specialized dental care to meet your individual needs. Our gratification is helping you both get a good night’s sleep and protecting your smile.