The Reasons your Teeth change Color
Our teeth, as hard as the outside enamel seems to be, are still porous. Here are some everyday reasons why your teeth are no longer pearly white:
- Medications- Some prescription medications, like Tetracycline, high blood pressure medications or some antihistamines can cause teeth to darken in color.
- Food and Drink- Dark berries will stain teeth. So will your morning coffee, tea or your cola at lunch. Your evening red wine will cause staining. Your diet plays a big role in the color of your teeth.
- Tobacco- If you are a smoker or chew the tar and nicotine will cause your teeth to turn yellow.
- Age- Yes, as you age your enamel thins. Over time you will begin to see the yellowish color of the next layer, the dentin, become visible.
- Trauma- If you have experienced facial trauma of any kind your teeth will produce more dentin changing the appearance of your teeth.
Your Options for Teeth Whitening
There are many options. In this case you truly get what you pay for. An over the counter retail package may be very affordable. It will take you many applications at night for months to achieve results. The difference is the amount of bleach, or hydrogen-peroxide that is available in the product. Retail whiteners range from 3% to 20%.
Professional gels available in our office range from 15% to 45%.
- In-Office Bleaching- Having the staff at Bourbonnias Family Dental administer the teeth whitening will yield terrific results. In just one appointment we can administer the higher concentrated bleach after we have placed a protective gel on your gums. We can achieve several shades in a very short period of time.
- Professionally Guided at Home Bleaching- This is a popular option. We fabricate a custom-made tray for your teeth and provide a bleach that is stronger than the retail variety. We will also provide instructions and monitor your improvements so you can still proceed with teeth whitening at home under our supervision.
- Over the Counter Bleaching- There are many options available but will take a lot of time and you may not gain the shade difference that can be achieved in our office.
Scheduling an Evaluation Appointment today
Making that phone call today to schedule your evaluation and consultation is the next step. If you are unhappy with where your smile has gone let’s address the possibility of starting with a teeth-whitening procedure together to get your smile back and the quality of life that comes with it. We can restore functionality, improve the aesthetics of your smile and bring back your self-confidence. Call 815-939-2520 now or visit our office at 498 Brown Blvd., Bourbonnias, IL 60914. The staff at Bourbonnias Family Dental all are terrific listeners and love to please our patients. You’ll be comfortable in our engaging environment. We are all dedicated to ensuring that you totally understand our plan that we have formulated together and that you will be confident that you will be receiving the highest quality specialized cosmetic dental care when we proceed with teeth whitening. We want to exceed your expectations.